Where to stay in Des Moines: Best areas for travelers
- Downtown Des Moines: Full of character and ambiance, this is the ideal match if you love being right in the action. Choose a comfortable room at the Renaissance Des Moines Savery Hotel, the Hyatt Place Des Moines Downtwn or the Hilton Des Moines Downtown. Then, you'll be in an excellent position to explore this area's best attractions, like Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden and Iowa State Capitol Building.
- West Des Moines: Home to Jordan Creek Town Center and Valley West Mall, there are lots of great deals to collect in this neighborhood. If you want to shop till you drop, find a cozy room at the Sheraton West Des Moines Hotel, the Hampton Inn West Des Moines Lake Drive or the Fairfield Inn and Suites by Marriott Des Moines West. You'll be within easy reach of the retail action.
- Ankeny: If you're eager to stay in a neighborhood with family-friendly attractions and good hotels, this side of town will be a good fit. Let the kids work off their extra energy at Otter Creek Golf Course. Come nighttime, settle them into bed and relax at the Ramada by Wyndham Ankeny, the Super 8 by Wyndham Ankeny/Des Moines Area or the Days Inn by Wyndham Ankeny - Des Moines.
- Urbandale: A great neighborhood is made up of lots of different things. With top attractions including Living History Farms, Merle Hay Mall and Pump It Up all in the area, this area is up there with the best of them. Base yourself here and you'll have your pick of hotels, like the Econo Lodge Urbandale-Northwest Des Moines, the Extended Stay America - Des Moines - Urbandale and the Hotel Renovo.
- Historic East Village: With Iowa State Capitol Building in this neighborhood, it's not surprising lots of visitors choose to stay here. The AC Hotel Des Moines East Village, the Staybridge Suites Des Moines Downtown and the Embassy Suites Hotel Des Moines Downtown are a few places to rest your head in here.
Des Moines flight + hotel packages
2021 Des Moines vacations
Top Des Moines hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Des Moines
Des Moines Vacations
A big city with a small-town heart; that's Des Moines, the capital city of America's heartland, in a nutshell. If you want to soak up all the ambiance of this Midwestern gem, Des Moines vacation packages will take care of the logistics so you can spend your holiday enjoy this thriving city.
You can't visit Iowa's capital city without visiting the distinguished capital building and its iconic 23-karat-gold leafed dome. Bring a picnic and linger on the lush, shady grounds. Another historical attraction not to miss is Terrace Hill. The opulent circa-1869 governor's residence is a shining example of Victorian architecture. Iowa is known for corn and other farm-fresh delights. Sample them at Des Moines' downtown farmer's market. Be sure to come with an appetite. After your meal, head to the Blank Park Zoo, Adventureland Amusement Park, Jasper Winery, or the Greater Des Moines Botanical Garden. Whatever your interests, you'll find attractions to pique them in Des Moines. Should you rent a car in Des Moines ? If you're staying for more than a weekend, definitely. While there are public transit options in Des Moines, most residents drive. The money you save buying one of the many affordable Des Moines hotel packages may even pay for the cost of your car rental.
Festivals and Events
Whether you stay in five-star luxury hotels or cheap hotels in Des Moines , you'll have access to a concierge--or at least local employees--who can fill you in on special events occurring during your stay. The Des Moines Art Festival in June, Iowa State Fair in August, Fall Festival, Wonder of Words Festival, and Winter Blues Festival are local favorites.
Des Moines is a smart holiday destination and Travelocity offers smart ways to stretch your vacation budget. Des Moines packages bundle airfare and hotel to save you as much as $537. With that kind of savings, you may decide to extend your Midwestern trip.
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Des Moines?
How long should my Des Moines vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Des Moines?
Why should I book my Des Moines vacation bundle via Travelocity?
Can I save money on my Des Moines car rental if I bundle it with a hotel or flight?
What is the best time of year to go to Des Moines?
Which airport is best for Des Moines?
What is there to do in Des Moines?
Where should I stay when visiting Des Moines?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from 2019-04-01 - 2020-03-31 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.