You can't dispute that spending time among nature is good for the mind, body and soul. If you're feeling a bit worn out from your day-to-day, a visit to Mount Mitchell could be just what the doctor ordered.
To reach it, go about 200 miles (322 kilometers) from the state capital, Raleigh, until you get to Burnsville.
Since there aren't any hotels close by, it takes a little more time to get there. Convenient choices are the Grand Bohemian Asheville, Autograph Collection, 20 miles (32 kilometers) away, The Omni Grove Park Inn, 18 miles (29 kilometers) away, and the Wildberry Lodge Bed & Breakfast, 30 miles (48 kilometers) away.
Other Things to Do Near Mount Mitchell
As well as Mount Mitchell, visitors often check out one or two of the area's other popular attractions:
- Whether you're a regular golfer or just starting out, you can't miss the chance to hit a round at Mount Mitchell Golf Club.
- The water plummeting over Roaring Fork Waterfalls is a splendid sight to behold.
- See a unique attraction that the whole family can enjoy. Buck Creek Trout Farm is a wonderful activity when the sun is out.
- Hike to the peak of Craggy Gardens, or view it from the bottom.
- Remember to visit Andrews Geyser, a grand, stylish work of art that has helped to add more spirit and beauty to the region's public spaces.