Martin Luther King Jr. History Walking Tour
Cleaning and safety practices
Track the fascinating life of Martin Luther King Jr. in a fast-paced, unforgettable 2.5 hours, that reveals how Atlanta and the Old Fourth Ward neighborhood changed the world. This must-experience Atlanta History Tour includes inspiring visits outside Ebenezer Baptist Church, the King Center, and unexpected locations even locals don’t know. We will make the most of your visit to the King Historic District and make every minute you spend in this neighborhood count, and we make sure you know about all the important locations.
You will get a deep understanding of the people and places that inspired the Civil Rights Movement on this tour. As the only tour in the city authorized by the King Center, we'll give you the inside scoop into this incredible neighborhood.
[Note: This tour does NOT include going inside the King Birth Home. This is a 1.7 mile walk with lots of standing, so please contact us if you have any physical limitations or difficulty walking.]
Spring/Summer Hours 10:00AM 10:00
What's included, what's not
Know Before You Book
- Wheelchair accessible
- Infants and small children can ride in a pram or stroller
- Service animals allowed
- Public transportation options are available nearby
- Suitable for all physical fitness levels
- Not recommended for travelers with inability to walk and stand for long periods of time
- COVID-19 vaccination required for guides
- Unexpected Atlanta Tours are all outdoor-experiences with social distancing between groups, with all-digital brochures, and a limited group size. Per current CDC guidelines masks are no longer required, but recommended. All guides are fully vaccinated.
Ebenezer Baptist Church (Pass by)
Exterior only of Historic Ebenezer Baptist Church.
Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site
The tour meets and ends at the National Historic Site, and includes an overview of the site, as well as detailed walk through various areas on the site. Due to potential staffing shortages, all National Park buildings are subject to closure at any time.
Prince Hall Grand Lodge (Pass by)
Exterior only of the historic Prince Hall Grand Lodge, location of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.'s and Congressman John Lewis's offices, as well as a historic Madam CJ Walker Beauty Salon
Jackson Street Bridge
Take in the city's most famous views at the iconic Jackson Street Bridge.
The tour takes place entirely in the Sweet Auburn neighborhood and includes numerous visits to points of interests
The King Center
Hours of operation are 7 days a week from 10-5pm
International Civil Rights Walk of Fame
Guests will make connections from prominent Civil Rights leaders that they learned about on the tour as they see their shoe prints along the Walk of Fame
Cleaning and safety practices
Enhanced cleanliness measures
- Guides required to regularly wash hands
- Contactless payment for gratuities and add-ons
- Social distancing measures in place
- Temperature checks given to staff
- Masks provided
- Hand sanitizer provided
Best Deals on Things to Do
Wander Wisely with the Travelocity app
- Get helpful alerts about flight status and gate numbers
- Access all your travel details, even when offline
- Easily contact your hotel by messaging them right in the app