Where to stay in Istanbul: Best areas for travelers
- Istanbul City Center: Home to iconic attractions like Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophia, it's not surprising that this neighborhood is the top choice for many travelers. You'll be close to all the action and have your pick of places to stay, including the Biter Hotel. The Cibali Hotel Istanbul and the Grand Konak Hotel are other places from which to explore this popular part of the city.
- Fatih: Suleymaniye Mosque is just one of the terrific sights that entice travelers to this area. You'll find a good range of welcoming hotels to take your pick of here, like the Romeo Hotel, the Best House Hotel and the Best Nobel Hotel 2. Book your room ahead of time and be close to the action!
- Beyoglu: If you're vacationing with the kids, this neighborhood could be worth looking at. See if there's room for the family at the DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Istanbul - Piyalepasa, the Cezayir Suites or the Titanic Downtown Beyo?lu. When the youngsters need to work off a bit of energy, take them on an excursion to Babalu Park.
- Taksim: This place has got the lot — an awesome atmosphere, a good variety of hotels and huge attractions, such as Taksim Square. Explore all this neighborhood has to offer before kicking back in comfort at the A Plus Residence, the Butterfly Suites or the Pera Line Hotel.
Istanbul flight + hotel packages
2021 Istanbul vacations
Top Istanbul hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Istanbul
Take advantage of Istanbul package deals on Travelocity and visit the Turkish city that straddles two continents, Europe and Asia. With a history that goes back thousands of years, the city was over time conquered by many diverse groups, leading to a meld of cultures and languages.
Travelers who visit Istanbul often regard the human population as one of the major attractions: local folk are friendly and welcoming, always happy to introduce visitors staying at Istanbul hotels to local tea gardens, coffee houses, taverns, and restaurants. Because of hectic traffic conditions, driving is not recommended in the city itself, but rental cars in Istanbul are ideal for exploring the nearby countryside. Architectural treasures abound in Istanbul, and booking an all-inclusive vacation to Istanbul lets you visit spots such as Hagia Sophia, which began as a church, then became a mosque, and is now a museum. Topkapi Palace, with roots that date back to 1453, is an enormous, ornate structure where sultans, their harems, and servants lived. Go even further back to 203 A.D. when you visit the Spiral Column and the Obelisk of Theodosius at the Hippodrome, or Sultan Ahmet Square. Shoppers regard the Grand Bazaar and the Spice Bazaar as must-visit sites; go early or late to avoid the tourist crowds and remember they are closed on religious holidays. Take a cruise down the Bosphorus, which divides city in two, to view the city from the water.
Festivals and Events
Istanbul International Biennial occurs every second year from September through November, and is a platform for contemporary art. Music lovers will be enthralled by the Istanbul International Music Festival (June and July) and the Istanbul International Jazz Festival (July), when top-notch performers entertain the public. If you're a movie fan you'll enjoy the Istanbul Film Festival in April, where you can view Turkish and other films.
Whether you're planning on visiting ancient churches and mosques in Istanbul, or just enjoying the scene, browse Travelocity for Istanbul vacation packages or get special deals on the mobile app.
Tours and Activities in Istanbul
Going traveling can teach us so many things. Not only can it give us an insight into the world and ourselves, it can inspire us to forge new friendships and learn from the experience of others. So, are you ready to head to your next amazing class?
There are so many cool adventures to choose from in Istanbul. Here are our top recommendations:
- Shore Excursion: Spice Bazaar & Bosphorus Cruise
- Bosphorus Cruise, Dolmabahce Palace & Asian Side Full-Day Tour
- Walking Tour of Asian Side: Üsküdar & Kadiköy
- Sightseeing Cruise on the Bosphorus
- The Istanbul Tourist Pass: Access to Top 10 Attractions & Airport Transfer
- Bosphorus Cruise & Dolmabahce Palace
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Istanbul?
How long should my Istanbul vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Istanbul?
Why should I purchase my Istanbul vacation bundle with Travelocity?
Can I save money on my Istanbul car rental if I combine it with my hotel or flight?
What is the best time of year to go to Istanbul?
Which airport is best for Istanbul?
What is there to do in Istanbul?
Where should I stay when visiting Istanbul?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from 2019-04-01 - 2020-03-31 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.