You're bound to enjoy your time at Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site.
It is located in Altoona, 90 miles (145 kilometers) outside of the capital of the state, Harrisburg.
Since there aren't any hotel options in the immediate vicinity, it takes a bit more energy to get there. The Omni Bedford Springs Resort is 30 miles (48 kilometers) away, the Holiday Inn Express State College at Williamsburg Square 40 miles (64 kilometers) and the White Hall Manor Bed & Breakfast 65 miles (105 kilometers).
Other Things to Do Near Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site
After Allegheny Portage Railroad National Historic Site, why not stop by the area's other attractions? Here are a few places to start:
- Give yourself the opportunity to learn all about the history of the railway when you visit Gallitzin Tunnels Park and Museum.
- Whatever your scholarly background, a prearranged tour through the spirited campus of Saint Francis University will have you wishing that you were on your way to a lecture.
- Is there anything better than a cultural trip blended with liquor? Head to Woody Lodge Winery and you will quickly find out.
- Free up a few hours and get ready for some action at Holiday Bowl.
- Imagine what life was like in a previous era when you're on a fascinating tour of the historic residence, Baker Mansion.