Where to stay in Portland: Best areas for travelers
- Old Orchard Beach: You don't need to spend a big part of your break queuing for cabs or public transportation when there's a lot to do in this part of town. Slip into your comfy shoes and check out Old Orchard Beach Pier, Palace Playland and Dunegrass Golf Club. Places to stay here include the Imperial Waters, The Landings Inn and Cottages at Old Orchard Beach and the Seabreeze Motel.
- Ocean Park: Whether you intend to stay in town for a night or a week, this is a terrific place to base yourself. Spend your days exploring the local hot spots and your evenings relaxing at the Perfect Family Getaway In the Heart of Ocean Park, Steps From 7 Miles of Beach ! or the Ocean Views, Newer House, Just Steps Away From The Beach in Kinney Shores.
- Scarborough: Swap racing about busy city streets for a mindful saunter around Cannon Rock and Cliff Walk. Nature buffs will feel right at home here. The Comfort Inn & Suites Scarborough-Portland, the Americas Best Value Inn Scarborough Portland and the Admiral Motel are great places to sleep off your big adventures.
- Saco: If your main goal is to tick off as many attractions as you can on your vacation, this neighborhood is calling your name. Make Funtown Splashtown USA your first port of call before heading on over to Aquaboggan Water Park and Saco Museum. When your feet need a break, kick your shoes off and climb into a comfy bed at the Hampton Inn Saco, the Ramada by Wyndham Saco/Old Orchard Beach Area or the Eastview Motel.
- South Portland: When you feel like taking some time out from the frantic pace of the city, make your way to House Island. It's one of this neighborhood's loveliest nature spots. Wondering where to stay in this neck of the woods? The Knights Inn South Portland, the Howard Johnson Hotel by Wyndham South Portland and the Best Western Merry Manor Inn will make you feel at home.
Portland flight + hotel packages
2021 Portland vacations
Top Portland hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Portland
Welcome to Portland, ME! The largest city in the Pine Tree State, Portland is home to a historic old shipping port, hundreds of restaurants, and dozens of lush natural spaces that make The Forest City the perfect spot for your next vacation.
What to Do In Portland, Maine
If you're planning to stay in the city, you'll want to look for Portland, Maine hotels that are either in the Old Port or the Downtown Arts District. These two areas are the liveliest parts of Portland and make a great base for exploring the city. The Old Port is a great place to stroll around, as its cobblestone streets play host to a number of local small businesses and shops. Portland is also home to several historic lighthouses, which make for an excellent day trip. Among the most notable are the Portland Head Light, and the Bug Light, which is across the river from the main downtown and offers a wonderful view of the city's skyline. Look for car rentals in Portland, Maine for easy access to these historic sites.
Make the Most of the Coast
Trips to Portland are great all year round, as there are a number of festivals and events that make the city come alive. One thing that's distinctive about Portland is the town's culinary culture, and there are some can't-miss food festivals that will make your trip really special. Harvest on the Harbor is one of the biggest festivals for food and wine; it's celebrated in late October every year. There's also the Maine Brewers Festival, which celebrates the state's craft beer brewers in early November. With Travelocity, it's easy to put together Portland travel deals so you can save money on your next trip north. Use the Travelocity mobile app for special savings and exclusive deals when you book your Portland vacation.
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Portland?
How long should my Portland vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Portland?
Why should I book my Portland vacation bundle via Travelocity?
Can I save on my Portland car rental if I book it with hotels and flights?
What is the best time of year to go to Portland?
Which airport is best for Portland?
What is there to do in Portland?
Where should I stay when visiting Portland?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from 2019-04-01 - 2020-03-31 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.