Where to stay in San Luis Obispo: Best areas for travelers
- Paso Robles: If your dream escape involves being among the natural environment, this neighborhood will hit the mark. Soak up the surrounds at Lake Nacimiento then stop by Barney Schwartz Park. Some conveniently located places to stay here include The Piccolo, the Paso Robles Inn and the Hotel Cheval.
- Pismo Beach: With loads of interesting attractions, you won't be bored in this neighborhood. Firstly, select your hotel from quality options, such as the Inn at the Pier, the Beach House Inn & Suites and the Dolphin Cove Motel. Then, work out which landmarks you want to see. Pismo Beach Pier, Monarch Butterfly Grove and Pismo Beach Surf Shop are excellent places to start.
- Downtown: With interesting family-friendly attractions like Pismo Beach Pier located here, this neighborhood is perfect for travelers of all ages. If you want to stay on this side of town, the Inn at the Pier, the Beach House Inn & Suites and the Dolphin Cove Motel are some places to look up.
- Morro Bay: If you'd like to tick off some of the city's top attractions, this neighborhood has loads for you to uncover. Morro Rock is a wonderful place to kick things off. You can easily explore this sight (and many others) from the Ascot Suites, the Sea Air Inn & Suites - Downtown Morro Bay or the Fireside Inn.
- Avila Beach: From fascinating attractions to buzzing local haunts, this neighborhood has plenty going for it. Get a good night's sleep at the Avila La Fonda Hotel before visiting Avila Beach Golf Resort, Avila Beach Community Center and Desire Sweet Shoppe. If you'd like more hotel options, many travelers recommend the Cozy Condo Near Beach w/ Free Wifi, BBQ & Spectacular Views and the Sunny Condo Near Beach w/ Free Wifi.
2021 San Luis Obispo vacations
Top San Luis Obispo hotels deals
Popular places to visit in San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo Vacations
Welcome to California’s Central Coast, where the only rule is “there are no rules.” It's a place where obligations go out the window, and your only responsibility is to do as little as possible—or as much as you want. With the Santa Lucia Mountain Range in the background, this scenic town of San Luis Obispo between Los Angeles and San Francisco is where time stands still and fun moves forward. Whether you're hiking up to Bishop Peak, strolling along Pismo Beach watching sea otters feast on local clams, or challenging a wave in the surf at Montana de Oro State Park, you'll realize that boredom isn't part of the SLO vocabulary. So start searching for San Luis Obispo vacation packages, and get ready to throw all those worries into the ebbing tide.
Where Are the Best Places to Stay in San Luis Obispo?
Anywhere you stay along the Central California coast is going to be majestic, beautiful, and breath-taking. Specifically, around San Luis Obispo, your two main options for accommodations are in SLO proper, or south by the coast in Pismo Beach.
Downtown San Luis Obispo
If you are planning a family vacation in San Luis Obispo, a business trip, or are going to visit the local university, your best bet is to stay downtown. You’ll be in a central location for exploring the mountains as well as the beaches, close to the airport, and near California Polytechnic State University. If that sounds like a good home base, you might like this hotel:
- Embassy Suites by Hilton – Thanks to a complimentary happy hour (they call it the Happiest Hour) and the Greenhouse Grill serving up inventive California cuisine, you’re never too far from finding a new favorite flavor. Start your day with a free made-to-order breakfast, then head out to explore the countryside. After a long day on the Central Coast, enjoy a great night’s sleep in your beautifully appointed guest suite so you can do it all again tomorrow.
Perhaps you are looking to get away from it all with that special someone on a romantic retreat. The quiet coast offers unparalleled seclusion for you. The Pacific can be a wonderful playground, too. Catch a wave on some of California’s most iconic surf beaches, race over the dunes in an all-terrain vehicle rental, or soar above the beach break on a parasail. Sounds like a fantastic time, right? If so, check out these hotels:
- SeaCrest OceanFront Hotel – Maybe it’s the incredible views of the Pacific from your guestroom balcony, the property, itself, with staircases leading down the cliffs to the beach, or the hotel’s proximity to the iconic and scenic Highway 101. Then again, it’s probably a combination of the three that make the SeaCrest such a desirable destination hotel. The contemporary décor, luxurious rooms, rooftop terrace, in-room wine delivery service, and bike rentals don’t hurt, either.
- Quality Inn – Conveniently located near the Pismo Beach Pier, the Quality Inn offers an affordable base camp for exploring the coast. Grab a free hot breakfast, make your way to the beach for a day on the sand, then cap it off with a dip in the heated outdoor pool. The shopaholic in you will appreciate the premium outlet mall next door.
- Oxford Suites – In a perfect location central to all the area’s major points of interest, the Oxford Suites makes an ideal extended-stay solution should your vacation turn into a long-term getaway. The comfortable guestrooms and suites are complemented by a heated outdoor pool, fitness center, and affordable pricing. Included in your low price are a complimentary hot breakfast buffet, an evening happy hour reception, and in-room Wi-Fi access.
A vacation in San Luis Obispo will put you in proximity to points of interest like Mission San Luis Obispo de Tolosa, Morro Bay Aquarium, and the retro-cool Sunset Drive-In Theatre. You can also get in a round of golf at one of the area courses, bike through Poly Canyon, and go wine tasting in Edna Valley. You’re probably going to want to book a car rental in San Luis Obispo to help you get to all of the attractions on your itinerary. You won’t be wanting for shops and restaurants, either. One stroll down Higuera Street will take you past a host of unique boutiques and eclectic eateries.
Your trip to San Luis Obispo is bound to be memorable. Make sure it starts off on the right foot by looking for deals on San Luis Obispo vacations on Travelocity. With our easy-to-use search function, you’ll save both time and money. Scan through our wide inventory of packages for cheap vacations in San Luis Obispo. We bundle your airfare and accommodations together and pass the savings on to you. They say that SLO is “America’s Happiest City.” With the money that Travelocity will save you, elation will start the moment you book your getaway to California’s Central Coast.
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to San Luis Obispo?
How long should my San Luis Obispo vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for San Luis Obispo?
Why should I purchase my San Luis Obispo vacation bundle with Travelocity?
Can I save money on my San Luis Obispo car rental if I combine it with my hotel or flight?
What is the best time of year to go to San Luis Obispo?
Which airport is best for San Luis Obispo?
What is there to do in San Luis Obispo?
Where should I stay when visiting San Luis Obispo?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from 2019-04-01 - 2020-03-31 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.