Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, is an all-American city brimming with history. Nestled on the banks for the Susquehanna River, it’s easily accessible from the Harrisburg International Airport (MDT). Explore natural beauty in the heart of Pennsylvania Dutch Country, meander through carefully curated museums, or take a quick jaunt just down the road for a tour of the Hershey’s Chocolate World. Harrisburg may be the most unassuming state capital you’ve ever encountered, where old friends meet to sample craft brews in their favorite pubs and you’ll still find local treasures at the weekend market. But before you can begin this adventure, you’ve got to book flights to Harrisburg, PA and plan a whirlwind tour of American history.
Transportation from MDT
Flights to Harrisburg International Airport touch down about 12 miles southeast of the city center. While the city does have public transportation, commuting from the airport and around most of the city is easiest with a rental car, so book ahead to pick up vacation wheels at the airport or a nearby car rental location. Slide behind the wheel and explore the area, from the Appalachian Mountains to the north to the tiny islands in the Susquehanna River.
Hotels near Harrisburg
Before you book tickets to Harrisburg, PA, consider some of our guest-favorite hotels to add to your travel savings:
- Hampton Inn & Suites Hershey: If you want to wake up to the scent of chocolate laced with soothing vanilla extract, stay at this convenient Hershey inn. The amenities are simple and include wireless internet, so you can stay connected during your beautiful days in Harrisburg.
- The Milton Hotel Hershey: Located in Hummelstown, between Hershey and Harrisburg, The Milton is the perfect place to stay to explore the region, including the Indian Echo Caverns, less than 2 miles away. Spend a day spelunking and relax back at the hotel game room or pool and spa tub.
- Hotel Harrisburg: Stay here for a prime position between MDT and downtown Harrisburg. In addition to its covet-worthy location, Hotel Harrisburg offers amenities including an outdoor pool, fitness center, wireless internet, and an on-site business center, so you can easily mix work and leisure.
- Best Western Harrisburg Hershey Hotel: Easily dip your toes in Harrisburg’s history from this Best Western. It’s a quick drive to the Deer Valley Golf Course and the Antique Automobile Club of America Museum, and features classic décor. Rest east in a Select Comfort bed and wake up to a complimentary breakfast before each day’s adventure begins.
Things to Do in Harrisburg
You’ll find out soon enough that airfare to Harrisburg PA are tickets back in time. Follow in the footsteps of early Americans and be inspired to leave only positivity behind.
- Fort Hunter Mansion and Park: Once a private estate looking over the river, Fort Hunter Mansion and Park is now a living time capsule of 19th-century Pennsylvania culture. Tour the carefully restored mansion and join in the revelry of a local event, like a string ensemble concert or an antiques fair.
- National Civil War Museum: Sift through collections of Civil War artifacts, curated with empathy and historical insight. This museum’s vision is to offer a balanced perspective on the conflict that threatened to tear apart a nation and the people who experienced it firsthand.
- Pennsylvania State Capitol: The interior domed ceiling of the capitol alone is worth the time spent on Harrisburg flights. And that marble staircase is the stuff of storybooks. Join a tour to see each exquisite detail of the gilt architecture and learn more about the second state to ratify the United States Constitution.
- Hershey’s Chocolate World: This may not be in Harrisburg proper, but this famous factory and fun center is located just 16 miles east of downtown Harrisburg. Learn how your favorite sweet treats are made—from harvest time in West African cocoa farms to local dairy cows and plenty of sugar.
A trip to Harrisburg is a capital idea. Booking hotels and cheap flights to Harrisburg, PA with Travelocity makes it even better. With our price-matching guarantee, you’ll get the best price available…and a vacation for the history books.