Pick up the camera, slip on your walking shoes and spend a day in the outdoors at Glendale Lake, a wonderful natural attraction to add to your travel plans.
You can find it in Altoona, about 95 miles (153 kilometers) from the state capital, Harrisburg.
Possible accommodations are in limited supply in the area around Glendale Lake, but you can find them if you're prepared to travel a little farther. The Omni Bedford Springs Resort, the Holiday Inn Express State College at Williamsburg Square and the White Hall Manor Bed & Breakfast are a selection of the most convenient ones, 45 miles (72 kilometers), 35 miles (56 kilometers) and 75 miles (121 kilometers) away, respectively.
Other Things to Do Near Glendale Lake
After you're finished at Glendale Lake, there are a variety of other attractions that'll keep you busy:
- Keep an eye out for wildlife, test your photography skills and enjoy a stroll at Prince Gallitzin State Park.
- Indulge your love for the great outdoors at Rock Run Recreation Park. Bring along a lunch, and spend the afternoon taking in the natural landscape.
- Woody Lodge Winery is the perfect place for everyone from wine enthusiasts to occasional drinkers.
- Whether it be glistening metals or ores and rocks, you never quite know what nature's hiding in a mine. Going on a tour of Seldom Seen Tourist Coal Mine is a great way to unearth some of these natural secrets.
- Regardless of your academic background, a guided tour around the spirited campus of Penn State Altoona will make you wish you and your colleagues were heading for the dining commons.