Where to stay in Kathmandu: Best areas for travelers
- Thamel: You won't have time to laze around doing nothing here — this neighborhood is full of enticing attractions. Want to know which ones to make your way to first? Many savvy travelers start with Garden of Dreams, Asan Tole and Three Goddesses Temples. After a long day taking in the sights, flop into a cozy bed at the Hotel Yukhang, the Hotel Green Horizon or the Kathmandu Madhuban Guest House.
- Boudhha: There's always somewhere new and exciting to find in this area. Begin the day with a trip to Boudhanath and go with the flow from there! A nice place to book in this neighborhood is the Hotel Butsugen. The Hotel Harmika and the OYO 293 Royal Bouddha Hotel are two other popular options with vacationers to the area.
- Sinamangal: Once you're done exploring all the local sights and sounds, slip into your PJs and crawl between the sheets at the Marinha Airport Hotel. The Hotel Marinha Pvt. Ltd. is another great place to lay your head.
- Lazimpat: If you're looking for a place to stay in this neighborhood, check out the deals at the Hotel Manaslu and the Nomad Hotel Pvt Ltd. No matter which one you choose, you'll be well placed to get out and explore the local sights.
- Sundhara: If this is your first visit to this city, this neighborhood is an excellent choice. As well as having a nice selection of hotels to pick from, there are also lots of things to see and do. Spend your days visiting some of the area's top attractions like Bhimsen Tower (Dharahara) and your evenings someplace comfy, like the OYO 453 Hotel Gurkha Heritage, the OYO 734 Hotel Mount Kailash or the OYO 626 Hotel Himchuli.
Top Kathmandu hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Kathmandu
If there's one word that Kathmandu conjures up, it's "powerful." An Asian crossroads for centuries, the culturally rich capital of Nepal is a major gateway to the Himalayas. As a pulsating trekker's paradise, Kathmandu offers intoxicating views of these legendary mountains in the distance and enchanting medieval temples in the foreground. With its never-ending stream of rickshaws weaving in and out of tiny backstreets, it's easy to casually brush up against buildings of tremendous historical importance.
A vacation in Kathmandu promises more than landmarks and monuments; even the daily religious and cultural practices are an intriguing sight to see. Buddhist monasteries and Hindu temples are hidden among the maze of city streets, and these are some of the most captivating tourist attractions. Stroll the neighborhood of Thamel for the best shops and restaurants, and head to Durbar Square to encounter Kathmandu's unique architecture, including ancient temples and an old royal palace. Climb to the top of Bhimsen tower to get an unparalleled panoramic view of the city, and don't miss Swayambhunath, the Monkey Temple, where you can spot gilded treasures. Be sure to browse car rentals in Kathmandu —though rickshaws may be a novelty, you won't want to take them everywhere.
Recurring Events and Festivals
A Buddhist and Hindu stronghold, this diverse city is the backdrop for over a hundred festivals annually, so people on Kathmandu vacations are always likely to stumble upon something fun and enticing. Go in January to experience the Tibetan New Year and March for Holi, a breathtaking Hindu "Festival of Colors" that is blissfully interactive—you definitely won't want to wear nice new clothes unless you'd like them to become joyfully polychromatic. The biggest annual festival is the Durga Puja, an intriguing 15 days that ends on the full moon in September or October.
Hooked on the Himalayas already? Browse Kathmandu vacation packages and hotels in Kathmandu on Travelocity and save up to $537 when you book a flight and hotel at the same time.
Tours and Activities in Kathmandu
Travel's not just about relaxing; it's about heading out of your comfort zone and trying something different. Are you ready for some awesome new experiences?
If organizing a travel itinerary isn't your cup of tea, that's no problem — we've got you covered. Kathmandu offers a wonderful selection of adventures. These are our recommendations:
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Kathmandu?
How long should my Kathmandu vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Kathmandu?
Why should I book my Kathmandu vacation bundle via Travelocity?
Will I save money on my Kathmandu car rental if I book it with a hotel or flight?
What is the best time of year to go to Kathmandu?
Which airport is best for Kathmandu?
What is there to do in Kathmandu?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.