Where to stay in Kyoto: Best areas for travelers
- Central Kyoto: There's nothing like being in the center of all the action, especially when you've got fantastic attractions like Nijō Castle at your fingertips. After a fun day of seeing the sights, crawl into a comfy bed at The Celecton Kyoto Horikawa Sanjo, the TSUMUGI HORIKAWAROKKAKU or the M's INN OMIYA KUROMON.
- Shimogyo: There are loads of good reasons to choose this area, including easy access to unique sights like Kyoto Tower. Find a comfortable room at the Nishihonganji Temple Monbo Kaikan, the Toyoko Inn Kyoto Gojo-omiya or the Kyoto Tokyu Hotel and visit whenever suits your schedule.
- Higashiyama: If Kiyomizu Temple is on your list of things to do, this is where you need to be. Make yourself cozy at the Four Seasons Hotel Kyoto, the Rinn Higashi Otowa or the Hotel Tozankaku. Then, get out and explore this famous attraction.
- Nakagyo Ward: If you're eager to stay in this area, check out the No6 Nijo, THE MACHIYA SHINSEN-EN and the M's INN SANJO OMIYA. Looking for ways to keep yourself entertained during your visit? Pay a visit to Nijō Castle. It's one of this neighborhood's main attractions.
- Karasuma: This is a wonderful place to stay if you like sightseeing. With Nishiki Market, Kyoto Tourist Information Center and Rokakkudo Temple all in the area, there's plenty to keep you busy. When you've had enough exploring for one day, slide into a comfortable bed at the Toyoko Inn Kyoto Shijo-karasuma, the Hotel M's Est Shijo-Karasuma or the Kyoto Shijo Takakura Hotel grandereverie.
Kyoto flight + hotel packages
2021 Kyoto vacations
Top Kyoto hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Kyoto
Kyoto was the capital of Japan for over a thousand years, and it retains a regal air to this day. Historic buildings stand side-by-side with modern skyscrapers, with beautiful parks full of cherry and plum blossoms in between. Vacation packages to Kyoto will take you to the city that the Japanese people consider to be the most beautiful in the country.
Nowhere sums up Kyoto's history like the Imperial Palace and Park. Tours of the palace must be booked in advance through the Imperial Household Agency, and are well worth making the effort. The gardens can be visited at any time, and they provide a welcome respite from the hustle and bustle of the city. Nijo Castle was a residence for the shoguns of Japan, and it's a showcase of the elaborate architecture of the time, complete with squeaking "nightingale floors" to warn of intruders. In the northern part of the city is the stunning Temple of the Golden Pavilion, one of the highlights of vacations in Kyoto. It's a good idea to rent a car in Kyoto and drive out there -- while you have a ride, you can take trips to the neighboring cities of Osaka and Kobe, which also have their charms.
Festivals and Events
Gion Matsuri is one of the biggest festivals in all of Japan, and lasts for the whole month of July. It came about as a ritual to gods of natural disasters, and is celebrated with food, traditional costumes, and parades, the biggest of which takes place on July 17. Jidai Matsuri, the festival of the ages, is held on May 15, and represents various periods throughout Japanese history.
Are you ready to say "konnichiwa" to Japan's most beautiful city? Book Kyoto vacation packages and take advantage of the Travelocity Price Guarantee. Travelocity will match a lower price and refund the difference on packages, Kyoto hotels , and flights.
Tours and Activities in Kyoto
Whether you want your travel experience to be action-packed and exciting or more peaceful and calm, there's one thing for sure — you'll have loads of stories to tell when it's all over!
If sorting out an itinerary isn't your thing, don't stress — we've got your back. Kyoto has a wonderful selection of experiences. Here are some good options:
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Kyoto?
How long should my Kyoto vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Kyoto?
Why should I book my Kyoto vacation package with Travelocity?
Can I save on my Kyoto car rental if I combine it with my hotel or flight?
What is the best time of year to go to Kyoto?
Which airport is best for Kyoto?
What is there to do in Kyoto?
Where should I stay when visiting Kyoto?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from 2019-04-01 - 2020-03-31 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.