Where to stay in Athens: Best areas for travelers
- Athens City Centre: Offering mouthwatering cuisine, loads of shops and top attractions, this neighborhood is the ideal place to stay. Settle in someplace comfortable like the Esperia Palace, the Academias Hotel, Autograph Collection or the Bohemian Suites Athens. But don't get too cozy in your room — Parthenon and Ancient Agora of Athens are yours to explore!
- Koukaki: Take a stroll around this popular neighborhood enjoying all the sights and sounds. Be sure not to miss Emotions Museum of Childhood while you're in the area. If you're looking for a relaxing place to stay, have a look at the NakosHomes Luxury Studio Apartment, the Suites Syngrou-Fix and the Urban studio in Athens next to Fix metro.
- Plaka: This neighborhood is a wonderful place to see the sights. Unpack your bags at the Syntagma-ermou Apt, the Nefeli Hotel or the A77 Suites by Andronis. When you're done, make your way to Roman Agora. It's hard to say you've really been here without a few selfies at this big attraction!
- Kolonaki: This place has everything you need — a buzzing atmosphere, a good range of hotels and popular attractions, such as Mount Lycabettus. Explore all this neighborhood has to offer before recharging your batteries at the Lykabetus Forest Kolonaki Loft Retiré, the Adorable flat for 4 ppl in Kolonaki or the Periscope Hotel.
- Makrigianni: Spend your evenings in this neighborhood and you'll have a few notable attractions on your doorstep. You'll also have lots of hotels to pick from. Lock in a room at the Herodion Athens, the Philippos Hotel or the Divani Palace Acropolis and you'll be able to easily get to Acropolis Museum.
Athens flight + hotel packages
2021 Athens vacations
Top Athens hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Athens
History buffs can spend weeks exploring one of Europe's oldest cities.In fact, Athens is the oldest inhabited city in the world. Athens dates back to the Neolithic Age, with historical monuments from virtually every major era available on street corners and throughout the city. It has become a popular tourist destination due to its unique combination of history, culture, modern amenities and stunning vistas. Enjoy a modern vacation into Ancient Greece in the Greek capital city.
Major Attractions in Athens
Booking a vacation package in Athens lets you explore a city rich with history, without breaking the budget. The 3 kilometer pedestrian zone in the center of the historical district is the largest in Europe. It allows you to see the Acropolis, explore the neighborhood of the gods, Plaka, and sit back and relax as you people watch in the famous Syntagma Square. Walkways connect many of the most famous architectural marvels and monuments, so you can explore without dodging traffic or waiting for right of way.
Recurring Festivals and Events
Events and festivals are nonstop in Athens, with something new for every season. Carnival is a not-to-be-missed experience with many events throughout the city. The Athens and Epidavros Festival celebrates music, opera, dance, and other performing arts at the Odeon of Herodes Atticus. For more examples of classic and modern performance art, the Ancient Olympia International Festival also makes an appearance. The Athens International Film Festival brings in movie lovers from around the globe. You can also see impressive fireworks displays in celebration of the rich naval history of Athens at the Miaoulia Festival. No matter what you are interested in or when you visit, Athens has a rich atmosphere of history, culture and nightlife.
Take a look at the incredible catalog of affordable hotels available through Travelocity. Book a hotel and flight at the same time to save on the total package. When you book with Travelocity, we guarantee you the lowest price. If you find it cheaper somewhere else, we'll refund you the difference.
Tours and Activities in Athens
The best thing about travel is that you rarely need to chase after brand new experiences — they're right there in front of you! So unpack your suitcase, kick back and prepare to make some outstanding new memories.
There are so many activities to select from in Athens. Here are our top picks:
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Athens?
How long should my Athens vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Athens?
Why should I purchase my Athens vacation bundle via Travelocity?
Can I save money on my Athens car rental if I bundle it with hotels and flights?
What is the best time of year to go to Athens?
Which airport is best for Athens?
What is there to do in Athens?
Where should I stay when visiting Athens?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from 2019-04-01 - 2020-03-31 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.