Where to stay in Helsinki: Best areas for travelers
- Etelainen District: There's nothing like staying in the thick of things, especially when you've got fantastic attractions like Suomenlinna Fortress just down the road. After a big day of exploring, jump into bed at the New & Modern Seaside Residence With Huge Balcony, the Clarion Hotel Helsinki or the Aida Hotel.
- Kamppi: Lots of visitors choose to stay in this neighborhood to be close to Helsinki Central Station. Terrific places to lay your head here include the Forenom Aparthotel Helsinki Kamppi, the Radisson Blu Royal Hotel Helsinki and the GLO Hotel Art.
- Helsinki City Centre: With top attractions and plenty of hotels, this area has all the ingredients for a wonderful break. Explore Helsinki Cathedral and then rest your head at the Kongressikoti Hotel, the 1 Bedroom Accommodation in Helsinki or the 1 Bedroom Accommodation in Helsinki.
- Keskinen District: Scattered around this neighborhood are some of the city's biggest attractions. Book a room at the Ava, the Holiday Inn Helsinki - Expo or the Original Sokos Hotel Tripla and you won't be too far from Hartwall Arena. For an unforgettable trip, make sure Linnanmaki Amusement Park and Helsinki Street are also part of your travel itinerary.
- Hietalahti: This neighborhood is bursting with awesome things to see and do. For starters, check out Hietalahti Flea Market, Sinebrychoff Art Museum and Alexander Theater (Aleksanterin Teatteri). Want to take your time seeing the sights? Stay in the area at the GLO Hotel Art, the Radisson Blu Seaside Hotel, Helsinki or the Forenom Aparthotel Helsinki Kamppi.
2021 Helsinki vacations
Top Helsinki hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Helsinki
Helsinki, Finland, is a study in contradictions; an ancient Baltic seat of power married to a slick hipster ethos. Hoary history and postmodern sensibilities meet in this coastal metropolis that ranks high on the list of the world's most livable cities. No wonder Helsinki vacation packages showcase the best of old and new that northern Europe has to offer.
Few travelers will have a hard time finding things to do during a Helsinki vacation. You can rent a car in Helsinki or book a "hop on, hop off" bus tour to get a feel for the city. Don't worry about trying to see everything at once; tour tickets are good for 24 hours. Museum fans should definitely stop at Ateneum, the top art museum in Finland. Head to the bohemian Kallio District for eclectic shopping at Hakaniemi, a market that has existed for 100 years, and don't forget to admire the art deco architecture of Kallio Church. The area around Helsinki is surrounded by islands, and summer is the perfect time to take a ferry to Suomenlinna (aka the Gibraltar of the North), a one-time sea fortress. Families with children should enjoy visiting the Seurasaari Open Air Museum or checking out the Helsinki Zoo on Korkeasaari Island.
Recurring Festivals and Events
The aptly named Helsinki Festival is possibly the city's biggest recurring event: a late-summer arts gathering featuring classical music, pop music, world music, visual art, and more than a quarter-million visitors. There are more modest gatherings, too. The Helsinki Comics Festival takes place in late August or early September, and the Helsinki International Film Festival has been held in late September for almost 30 years.
Shop for Helsinki packages or a hotel in Helsinki with confidence! The Travelocity Price Guarantee means we'll match any lower price and refund the difference.
Tours and Activities in Helsinki
Travel is the best teacher. Not only does it open our eyes to the world and its wonders, it can help us to foster new friendships and learn from the experiences of others. Ready for your next exciting lesson?
Ready for some exciting activities in Helsinki? We highly recommend trying out some of these things:
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Helsinki?
How long should my Helsinki vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Helsinki?
Why should I book my Helsinki vacation package via Travelocity?
Can I save money on my Helsinki car rental if I book it with a hotel or flight?
What is the best time of year to go to Helsinki?
Which airport is best for Helsinki?
What is there to do in Helsinki?
Where should I stay when visiting Helsinki?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from 2019-04-01 - 2020-03-31 as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.