Where to stay in Marseille: Best areas for travelers
- 1st Arrondissement: Few things beat the thrill of waking up somewhere new, especially when you have fascinating attractions like Musée Grobet-Labadié to look forward to. Stay at the Hotel - Restaurant de la Faculté and you can head over there nice and early. The Hotel Lutetia and the Apartment in the Heart of Vile are other options in this neighborhood.
- 2nd Arrondissement: If you'd like to get to know the city like a local, this is one place that's worth a good look around. Choose from excellent hotels like the Golden Tulip Marseille Euromed, the Ibis Marseille Centre Euromed and the Novotel Suites Marseille Centre Euromed. Then you'll be well-placed to roam around Marseille Ferry Terminal and everything else that this neighborhood has to offer.
- 7th Arrondissement: Put the brakes on and soak up some peace and quiet at Auffes Port — just one reason to choose this renowned area. Good options here include the Hotel Marseille Centre Bompard la Corniche futur Mercure, the A House Between the Good Mother and the sea and the Vrbo Property.
- 8th Arrondissement: You'll soon understand why art lovers keep coming back to this neighborhood, with inspiring places like Le Chateau Borely to explore. Looking for some tips on where to put your feet up after the sun goes down? The House Pointe Rouge Marseille. House by the Sea, Creeks Park. Kite Departure, the Villa 180m² Large Pool Garden 300 m From the Beach Pointe Rouge and the AT THE Foot OF Calanques are often on visitors' shortlists.
- Quartier du Panier: If you're new to this city, this neighborhood is a superb choice. Not only are there plenty of great hotels to pick from, there are also well-known attractions like La Vieille Charite to keep you entertained. Explore everything this area has to offer from the convenience of the Terrace Apartment in Town, the Casa Roja Des Minots or the InterContinental Marseille - Hotel Dieu.
Top Marseille hotels deals
Popular places to visit in Marseille
Marseille vacations take you to the Southern coast of France. This scenic, sunny port city on the Mediterranean Sea has been designated a European Capital of Culture, and you'll sense its rich heritage as you explore Le Panier historical district, the Old Port and its ancient fortifications, or excellent museums and galleries. If you'd like to explore the broader region, rent a car in Marseille and head to some of the other beautiful cities such as Nice, Avignon, and Aix-en-Provence or the mountainous coast of Calanques National Park.
Walk seaward down the Canebiere, the city's main thoroughfare, and you'll reach the Old Port, one of the major tourist attractions in Marseille. See two 17th century forts—Fort Saint-Nicholas and Fort Saint-Jean—still guarding the city. Linked by a bridge from Fort Saint-Jean is the Museum of European and Mediterranean Civilizations, a national museum dedicated to regional culture from ancient through modern times. Choose Marseille hotels in the vicinity of the Old Port and you'll be close to another major attraction, the Notre-Dame de la Garde. The basilica sits on the highest hill in the city, a limestone outcrop near the port, on the foundations of an ancient fort. Visit the landmark to enjoy panoramic views over the rooftops of Marseille and the coast.
Recurring Festivals and Events
Enjoy a vacation in Marseille in spring and you might be in town for the mid-March Spring Carnival. The carnival procession ends at the Old Port and includes live music and street performers. From mid-June to mid-July, the city celebrates with the Festival de Marseille. Bastille Day in July is marked by a two-day spectacle of folk parades, ending with a fireworks show at the Old Port.
Find Marseille vacation packages with Travelocity and know you're getting a great deal. With the Travelocity Price Guarantee, Travelocity will match a lower price and refund the difference.
Tours and Activities in Marseille
Whether you want your journey to be mind-blowing and thrilling or chilled out and relaxing, there's one thing for sure — you'll have plenty of tales to tell after it's all over!
If researching isn't your favorite thing, there's no need to worry — we'll have you covered. Marseille provides a wonderful selection of experiences. These are our suggestions:
Frequently asked questions
How much are vacation packages to Marseille?
How long should my Marseille vacation be?
Where can I get the best vacation package deals for Marseille?
Why should I purchase my Marseille vacation package via Travelocity?
Can I save money on my Marseille car rental if I bundle it with a hotel or flight?
What is the best time of year to go to Marseille?
Which airport is best for Marseille?
What is there to do in Marseille?
Where should I stay when visiting Marseille?
^Savings based on all package bookings with Flight + Hotel made on Travelocity.com from as compared to the price of the same components booked separately. Savings will vary based on origin/destination, length of trip, stay dates and selected travel supplier(s). Savings not available on all packages.