The English explorer Captain John Smith (of Pocahontas fame) once wrote of Chesapeake Bay that, “There is but one entrance by sea into this country, and that is at the mouth of a very goodly bay, 18 or 20 miles broad... The land, white hilly sands like unto the Downs, and all along the shores rest plenty of pines and firs... Within is a country that may have the prerogative over the most pleasant places known, for large and pleasant navigable rivers, heaven and earth never agreed better to frame a place for man's habitation.”
If you yearn to experience this most pleasant of places, pack your bags and reserve a room at one of the hotels in Norfolk, which lies along the southern shore of the Chesapeake Bay. Just 20 minutes from Virginia Beach, and about an hour from Colonial Williamsburg, Norfolk is the ideal launching point for a Virginia vacations.
Wondering where to stay in Norfolk and Virginia Beach?
Many visitors to Norfolk opt to stay in nearby Virginia Beach, which offers some of the finest hotels in the state. If you’re not sure where to rest your head come nightfall, here’s an overview of a few of the best places to stay in Norfolk’s neighboring city.
- Hampton Inn Virginia Beach-Oceanfront South for fun in the sun: Located on the celebrated Virginia Beach boardwalk and exclusively offering oceanfront rooms, the Hampton Inn is adjacent to lively Atlantic Avenue, one of the most bustling areas along the beach. Here’s what you can expect to find:
- Pool and playground: Keep up with your workout routine in the hotel’s fitness room or swimming pool, or lay out on the beach while your kids enjoy the on-site playground.
- Business center: If you’ve got some unexpected or last-minute work to take care of, the hotel’s full-service business center can help you meet your deadlines.
- Sports bar: Grab a bite at the 11th St. Taphouse Bar & Grille, the Hampton’s beach-themed sports bar featuring an outdoor patio and epic views of Virginia Beach.
- Continental breakfast: Start your day with a full belly by grabbing on the hotel’s free breakfasts, which can even be taken to-go if you don’t want to waste any time dawdling.
- Best Western Plus Virginia Beach for family amusements and adventures: A short stroll from Neptune Park and just 20 minutes from the airport, this beachside hotel is nearby some of Virginia’s most desirable destinations, including the state aquarium, Ocean Breeze Waterpark, and Adventure Park among others. Best Western also includes these perks:
- Dining options: Mark your mornings with a hot breakfast served in a gorgeous beachside venue, and stop by the hotel’s ShoreLine Grill, serving up first-rate seafood, steaks, and pasta dishes throughout the day.
- Event space: Hold an outstanding event in the Colonial Conference Room, offering up-to-date audio-visual equipment and a convenient location near the lobby.
- Fitness and fun: Relax in the hotel’s heated indoor pool, or take a dip in the outdoor pool, located near the fitness center, arcade room, and ice cream shop.
- Ramada Virginia Beach Oceanfront for beach bums: Breathe in the fresh ocean air from your beachfront balcony, then set out for a stroll along the boardwalk. When you book a room at the Ramada, with its prime location and excellently appointed amenities, here’s what you can look forward to:
- Dining: Dine on incredible meals throughout the day at Mahi Mahs, the Ramada’s award-winning seafood restaurant steps from the sand and offering excellent entertainment most nights of the week.
- Event space: The four cozy meeting rooms here can accommodate up to 175 guests, making it the ideal setting for small- and medium-sized events.
- Fitness: With a fitness center, heated indoor pool, and steamy hot tub, the Ramada can help make sure you stay healthy and happy.
- Hilton Virginia Beach Oceanfront for a first-class experience: Live it up in the lap of luxury at this idyllic oceanfront hotel located next to Neptune Park. With oceanfront restaurants, live entertainment, and seaside cabanas, there’s not much this hotel doesn’t offer:
- Dining: The Hilton’s Catch 31 restaurant serves up delectable seafood and steak dishes in addition to an impressive raw bar, and the venue even offers fire pits and live entertainment throughout the week.
- Drinks: Take in an unobstructed view of the city and surrounding area when you grab a drink at Sky Bar, the hotel’s resplendent rooftop watering hole, located 21 flights above the oceanfront.
- Private lounge: Experience the Empyrean Club, the Hilton’s private lounge offering dedicated concierge service and access to high-end amenities.
- Event space: With more than 12,000 sq. ft. of oceanfront event space, including a 7,100 sq. ft. ballroom, the Hilton makes it easy to host weddings and events for up to 1,000 attendees.
Travelocity takes all the hassle out of booking cheap hotels near Norfolk and Virginia Beach, regardless what time of year you’re traveling. If you’re eager to start exploring the Chesapeake Bay, count on us to help you lock down affordable Virginia Beach and Norfolk lodging within just a few click or taps. Reserve your spot in any of the Norfolk hotels right now, and you’ll soon know why John Smith was so in awe of this setting.